TheCityUK was created in 2010 to champion the UK’s financial and professional services sector. It supports the industry both at home and overseas, and plays an active role in the regulatory and trade policy debate.
TheCityUK engages with policymakers in London, Brussels, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Cardiff, Belfast and in local councils across the UK on a range of policies affecting the financial sector including trade, tax, regulation and skills.
Remit and objectives:
Cicero was mandated by TheCityUK to lead its public affairs activity in all regions of the UK. The brief covers all aspects of public policy engagement work, from strategic advice and planning through to execution and the day-to-day logistics associated with a successful long-term public affairs campaign.
TheCityUK’s key objective is to rehabilitate the image of the UK’s financial and professional services sector post-crisis. Our brief also includes the promotion of the importance of the sector right across the UK, including engagement across the devolved governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Cicero formulated an end-to-end political engagement strategy for TheCityUK, helping to develop core messages and communicating these to target policymakers across the UK. This includes:
- Strategic advice: Core message formulation and engagement planning. Cicero developed TheCityUK’s engagement activity plan for year one, immediately after being appointed.
- 1-to-1 meetings: Having built a comprehensive contact programme, Cicero arranged 1-to-1 meetings with key policymaker targets across all political parties and relevant government departments.
- Roundtable events: TheCityUK holds regular roundtable meetings for its membership and wider stakeholders. Cicero runs this programme of events, including the logistics and organisation, as well as formulating agendas, briefings and key messages. Cicero also supports TheCityUK by securing high-level political speakers and attendees. Cicero supported TheCityUK in organising and hosting events at party conferences, including partnerships with leading think tanks.
- Engaging the devolved administrations: Regional engagement has been an important pillar of TheCityUK’s UK activity. Cicero crafted a series of successful events in Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds and Cardiff to engage directly across the UK’s devolved bodies, with key speakers including Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Rt Hon Owen Paterson MP; First Minister for Scotland, Rt Hon Alex Salmond MSP; and First Minister for Wales, Rt Hon Carwyn Jones AM.
- Facilitated direct engagement with over 100 target policymakers during year one
- Regional events held in Belfast, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and Bristol
- Major recognition and raised awareness for TheCityUK, to the point that the organisation has become a go-to body for policymakers concerned with the UK’s financial and professional services sector
Website – www.thecityuk.com